Reflex Technologies has more than 100 years of film and digital experience on staff. We designed our unique Reflex scanner with input from cinematographers, archivists, colorists, and other filmmakers. No other scanner is more versatile, or is kinder to film.
Reflex archival scanning creates exact digital duplicates, which are visually indistinguishable from the original film, without adding any artifacts.
We take extraordinary care with every part of the process. The uncompressed AVI, DPX and ProRes files we provide on hard drives are as faithful to film as possible. We produce viewing copies—in virtually every file format available.
We can handle all aspects of the digital scanning process to make your films of yesterday useful and accessible for tomorrow.
Unique Reflex Scanner
- 1. Positive HEPA-filtered airflow for dust-free scanning
- 2. Handles up to 2000-foot rolls
- 3. Active, real-time film tension-sensing
- 4. Continuous-motion, sprocket-less drive
- 5. Optically-sensing virtual registration pin
- 6. SmartGate corrects dimensionally-unstable film
- 7. Extended aperture plate holds distressed film flat
- 8. Oversized aperture enables optional scanning to outer edges
- 9. Touchscreen interface for failsafe operation
- 10. Scanner software controls and monitors entire system
- 11. Low energy, LED light source for consistent color temperature
- 12. Scanner records high bit-depth and wide dynamic range
- 13. Variable film path for highly-distressed film
- 14. CCD imager for up to 4K scanning
- 15. No mirrors, filters or prisms between film and lens
Output: Uncompressed/compressed AVI, DPX, ProRes, BMP, JPEG, JPEG2000, TIFF, WMV, and other files. Access and archival copies provided on all forms of external media.
Formats: Regular 8mm, Super 8mm, Double 8mm, Regular 16mm, Super 16mm and 35mm.
A Proven Process
- Discuss needs, alternatives, expectations
- Provide written plan with budget, options, timeline
- Move film to secure area
- Evaluate film, log markings, enter into tracking system
- Repair splices, add leaders, hand-clean film
- Wind film through PTRs to re-clean base and emulsion
- Thread film through appropriate path based on condition
- Scan full-frame or full-aperture at up to 4K resolution
- Transfer uncompressed file to external hard drive/server
- Make access and archival copies on external media
- Evaluate new created media for data integrity
- Put original film on new core in vented can
- Insert A&D strip as vinegar syndrome monitor
- Ship new media separately from original materials
Scanning the “Un-scannable”
The Reflex Scanner was designed and built to faithfully digitize the images from archival film – without harming the film or adding new artifacts.
Whether we are scanning film in perfect condition or film that others deem “un-scannable”, the Reflex Scanner produces sharp, high-resolution digital files…of images that were thought to have been lost forever.